Facebook
Warsaw Ghetto: forbidden to leave the ghetto 00:21
Warsaw Ghetto: forbidden to leave the ghetto The Warsaw Ghetto was established by the German Governor-General Hans Frank on October 16, 1940. Frank ordered Jews in Warsaw and its suburbs rounded up and herded into the Ghetto. At this time, the population in the Ghetto was estimated to be 400,000 people, about 30%[1] of the population of Warsaw; however, the size of the Ghetto was about 2.4%[2] of the size of Warsaw. The ghetto was split into two areas, the "small ghetto", generally inhabited by richer Jews and the "large ghetto", where conditions were more difficult; the two ghettos were linked by a single footbridge. The Nazis then closed the Warsaw Ghetto from the outside world on November 16, 1940, by building a wall, topped with barbed wire, and deploying armed guards.
Recorded: 1940 Event time: 1940 Location: Poland Number of clips: 41
00:21